WHOA! We have reached over 78% of our goal to raise $100,000 in our Annual Campaign supporting the expansion of our Women’s Empowerment Program at Himalayan Institute Cameroon! Thank you so much to all those who have donated and fundraised for this cause so far! With just one week left to go in our 2017–2018 Annual Campaign: Igniting the Power of Women, here are 10 reasons why supporting the advancement of women and girls in Cameroon will produce far-reaching benefits, beyond your expectations:
- “Women and girls make up more than half the world’s population — and they are on the frontlines — often more deeply impacted than men and boys by poverty, climate change, food insecurity, lack of healthcare, and global economic crises. Their contributions and leadership are central to finding a solution.”—UN Women
- Providing women with access to female-generated business solutions allows women to be at the helm of their own job creation and success, providing them with the ability to step outside of community gender norms, generating greater opportunities for themselves and their families.
- Women’s access to proper education on starting and maintaining small businesses provides them with the tools necessary to independently provide for their families and communities, regardless of the success of their partner.
- Many heads of households in Cameroon are women, providing both familial and financial stability. Granting these women access to greater earning potential equals greater food, healthcare, and education access for future generations of rural families.
- Access to women-centric health services both at the public and clinical level means fewer child and maternal deaths, greater awareness on family planning, and how to take simple steps in alleviating communicable disease within communities.
- Empowering women and girls through greater access to public health education means more informed decision making, better health outcomes at all stages of life, and the ability for younger women to grow and thrive as stewards of a better way of life.
- When every member of society is educated, social and economic gains grow exponentially. This ensures quality and continuous education for women and girls around the world, and in places like Cameroon, West Africa, ensures a smarter, more innovative, and prosperous future for us all.
- Female leaders are great leaders. Educational advancement of women and girls equals the playing field in heads of companies, innovative inventors, diversity in philanthropy, and ingenuity in both the public and private sectors across the globe. Women and girls have proven just what they can do with access to quality education—they create a more inspired world for everyone.
- Including women in equal measure in every part of the process of community development ensures social and economic sustainability; when one half of the population begins to succeed and rise up out of poverty, it acts as a catalyst for everyone else—empowering women has this potential to greatly affect every member of a community.
- When healthcare, education, and job creation is inclusive of both genders, greater stability, peace, and holistic health comes to each and every member of the community.
It is clear from the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals, UN Women’s mission to advance women around the world, the World Economic Forum’s goals for African Nations, and countless studies on how much the empowerment of women and girls effects the world, that taking the opportunity to support the empowerment of women benefits not just rural communities struggling to survive, but the health, security, and advancement of all people around the world.
When women and girls are educated and empowered to make their own choices, we can begin to pursue a society in which women have equal rights and equal opportunities. So with ONE WEEK LEFT (!) to support this cause: DONATE TODAY, and help Himalayan Institute Cameroon Ignite the Power of Women!